Sunday, January 13, 2008

Eats

I had a post all written earlier, in my head. When I was unable to get anywhere near the computer. Maybe it was in the wee hours of the morning, when Chase was nursing, and I couldn't sleep? I don't remember now, just a few hours later, and that should give you some idea of what happens to a mama's brain in the first year of parenting!

I do remember the post was going to be about food, and eating, and Chase. Always about Chase ;-)

I've been baking lately. It started at Christmas time, when I made some cookies for a "craft" swap. I promised 3 dozen cookies, and I didn't feel right giving the person 3 dozen of the SAME cookies, so I made three different kinds. Well, four kinds, actually, but one didn't turn out. I've been trying my hand at bread, too, but not very successfuly. And yesterday I made scones.

I realized I approach baking and knitting in much the same way - I make little changes here and there to better suit my tastes and my talents. I guess I've been doing this with cooking for so long that it seemed a natural approach with knitting, but it sure freaking my knitting friend out when I talked aobut making changes to a pattern - my first real garment, and the changes weren't simple ones like substituting the yarn, either. Though I did that, too! Wait, this isn't supposed to be a post about knitting! Back on track.

Chase gnawing on an apple core.


We started Chase on solid food back in the summer by letting him lick and suck on the pears and apples I was eating. A month or two later, we introduced him to bits of banana, sweet potato, white potato, avocado (not a success), steamed carrots, grean beans and red bell pepper. Yes, all things he could pick up on his own and eat as he wished. No purees here - we are following a trend the Brits call "Baby Led Weaning", although it doesn't have to do with weaning the way Americans think of it. It has to do with letting the baby be in charge of his food, and with letting them explore the natural tastes and textures of food, something that doesn't really happen so much with the "baby food" you can buy at the grocery store.

Extra bonuses - (a) It costs less. He just gets bits from our plates most meals. (b) We get to eat! At the same time! All three of us! No one is stuck "feeding the baby" while the other parent eats, and we aren't feeding Chase at his own mealtime. We get to have meals as a family, all eating basically the same thing. And Chase is getting better and better at actually getting the food in his mouth, although he still gets the majority of his nutrition and calories from breastmilk, and he loves his "nursies."

Oh, right! That is how I'm writing this post today. See, I knew it started somewhere...I am going to a mama-baby blessing this afternoon, and leaving the boy home with Dada. So I am pumping, something I don't do oftehm. I can't do much else when I pump, as I'm stuck in the chair. But I can type! I can also knit.

Which is what I think I'm going to do now. 'Cause this entry is SO adrift, I have no idea how to wind it up except by saying, "The End."

1 comment:

Lee said...

I love it that all 3 of us get to eat the same things at the same time, too! Good to start that "family meals together" value right away :)