Monday, March 10, 2008

My first for my first on his first

...sweater...child...birthday...

I started this sweater in what I thought was plenty of time to have it done - wrapped up with a bow, even - for Chase's first birthday. But life intervened, as it does, and on his birthday I was a sleeve-and-a-half short of completion.



No matter. At one year of age, a child does not know what day his birthday is, or that there is anything special in having been in the world for an entire year. He might notice the extra attention, the visit from relatives, or the appearance of new toys. But he doesn't notice the absence of The Birthday Sweater.


It is done now, just a couple of weeks late. In Portland, there is plenty of time for sweater wearing into spring and even early summer. With any luck, the sweater will still be wearable next fall.

Item notes:
PATTERN: An adaptation of Double Scoop from Knitty.com
YARN: Shine from KnitPicks.com in Grass (3+ skeins) and Cream (~0.5 skein)
NEEDLES: Harmony Options from KnitPicks.com in sizes 7 and 5
CHANGES: Letter instead of ice cream cone; two colors instead of three. I worked the neckband and sleeves in the round rather than flat.
MISTAKES: One three-row stripe in cream at top of sleeves. Turned it from a "bug" into a "feature" by repeating it on the second sleeve ;-)

1 comment:

radishly said...

So cute! I love it!